The Tiger Roars
The Jungle Top Ten:
Space Marine Characters by
Here then is a ranking of the best named Space Marine special characters, considering point cost and what they contribute to the army. I have listed the army that they represent, but you are, of course, free to adapt them to your own army (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).
10. Korsarro Khan (White Scars). Ouflanking Bikes as Troops. Nuff said.
9. Kayvaan Shrike (Raven Guard). Fleet Space Marines can be pretty ill. Of course, there are some armies you are not in a hurry to get close to.
8. Vulkan Hestan (Salamanders). I like global effects and twin-linked multimeltas is sweet.
You're know you're badass when you walk around with your back-mounted standard on fire, and you don't care
7. Logan Grimnar (Space Wolves). Getting Wolf Guard as scoring makes Grimnar the focus of many a list, but his price tag can give pause at almost 300 points.
6. Sammael, Master of the Ravenwing (Dark Angels). For less than a Land Raider, you get a guy in the equivalent of a flying one. And he makes your Bikes Troops.
Sicarius: it's like he's the Rodney Dangerfield of Space Marines
5. Captain Cato Sicarius (Ultramarines). Sicarius seems to get no love, but he is pretty good. All Space Marines on the board can use his Leadership, he can give a Troop squad a special ability, and he re-rolls the chance to seize the initiative. The only downer is he is a little pricey at 200 points for a Captain.
4. Njal Stormcaller (Space Wolves). Sure, he is pricey, but he gets to use two really good powers a round (Jaws of the World Wolf anyone?), has a global weather effect, and can nullify your opponents powers.
If being a SM special character doesn't work out for him,
he could always be the lead singer for a death metal band
3. Astorath The Grim (Blood Angels). Making it easier to Rage and giving bonuses for his unit in assault? Yes, please!
2. Pedro Kantor (Crimson Fists). A 12 area effect boost to attack is a no-brainer. Getting Sternguard as scoring units is icing.
1. Lord Kaldor Drago (Grey Knights). No army does special characters like Grey Knights, who have 14 choices. Drago is expensive, but he is both a badass and makes up to three other units badass too.
Apparently, Lord Kaldor likes to vacation on Mustafar
There is my list. I am sure we will get e-mail berating us for not putting in Marneus Calgar or Castellan Crowe or some other character. As with all of the Top Ten lists, it is meant to be a basis for discussion and not definitive. I have even been wrong in some of my previous lists (how did I leave Sanctioned Psykers off the IG vs. Termies list?). If you feel something works for you and want to tell us about, please write in or chat with us on our Facebook page.
Posted June 2011